Monday, September 13, 2010

Final San Diego County

Saw my friend JR last night. Hair is a little longer, has a bit of a beard, but with him it remains uncertain whether this is a matter of personal style or neglect. We ate at a fish place with JR and his wife and their adorable 1 year-old daughter. Since I've had a child of my own every baby is adorable, and I want to hold every baby. They all recoil from me however, and cling more tightly to the parental neck. Thank goodness my own son is more accommodating.

In the morning we did a DP. It was gray and cold, and the waves were holding up a bit in the high tide, but even so it soon became crowded. Caught some nice waves. Said a mental goodbye to the SoCal vibes and the consistent swells. Went back to the room, showered, dressed, and then drove 2.5 hours to Agoura Hills, where my meetings will be this week. Through LA, past the sign, past the famous boulevards. Even I, who would probably argue intensely and sardonically (or rather I would attempt the latter) against a culture of celebrity, even I had a creepy sense of deja vu seeing all these landmarks in person and I began to hate myself a little as I imagined the patient, weary glance of a Tom Hanks or a Brad Pitt or a Larry David sweeping past my insignificant form.

No comments: