Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sedulous

I just wanted to express my admiration for "sedulous." I like counterintuitive words. For instance, I would imagine "sedulous" to have something to do with "seditious" and would consider it therefore to express a form of disloyalty or betrayal, but of course that's not the case.

Joyce is the only writer I've personally read who has used it in a sentence:

"When we were tired of this sight we wandered slowly into Ringsend. The day had grown sultry, and in the windows of the grocers' shops musty biscuits lay bleaching. We bought some biscuits and chocolate which we ate sedulously as we wandered through the squalid streets where the families of the fishermen live."

I'm a big fan of Dubliners. That's probably putting it mildly. I have asked my wife to read to me from Dubliners when I'm dying. I prefer it to the Bible as an expression of reverence and as an attempt to give form to the divine.

No comments: