Friday, September 7, 2007

Five Minutes, Ten Minutes

I need to train myself to take advantage of five and ten minute openings of free time. I need to be able to open the spigot, write for that five minutes, close the spigot.

I need to get to a point where I don't need half an hour of warmup and fuzzy feel good fru fru time before I'm willing to open my precious little writing gates.

As a parent, I have no other choice. I gotta take the time when I have it.

Teenager in the shower right now, wife about to leave for work. Instead of turning on CNN to hear about the latest suicide bomber or fucked up NFL player, I opted to come upstairs and maybe do a little writing... even this, right now, dumping words to the screen, may very well be what I need to get the spark started, scrape the tinder... After I get them off to school, and the house is quiet, maybe I'll be that much further along, maybe...

Yesterday's exercise helped... I like the idea of writing through the thoughts... that makes so much more sense than thinking through the writing. Thanks for helping me understand that.

I always walk out of our Starbucks Summits so charged up and ready to get back in the saddle again. I'm sorry to do this to you, but I think we're going to need to meet every morning, talk for an hour, and then go write. That's the secret. That's the magic solution.

So, to keep you on your current schedule of getting up at 3:30am to write (gawd... that hurts just to _type_ it...) we'll have to meet at the Starbucks at 2:00am (allowing drive time).

I don't know who will be on duty at the coffee counter, but I bet it'll be one ugly mother fucker... The nightshift barista bitch.

The Barista Bitch, who secretly keeps her BDSM toys under the counter, waiting until things are quiet and there is only one customer in the store.

Where the hell am I going with this?

Words on the page.

I just recently deleted a spam email from the Christian Debt Elimination Service. Thank God they've found me. I'm almost as excited about this as I was to receive the email for Black Singles Dating.

I've made it perfectly clear I'm not interested in black singles. Serena and Venus would be considered a double in my book.

No comments: