Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

I'm still going to post here. On the way back from Thanksgiving in Georgia I had two thoughts. Well, one is a thought (analysis of pattern) and the other is an observation (response to phenomena).

Thought: My wife loves to see her family. For her, the definition of "home" has something to do with socialization, a kind of mass data dump with her mother and siblings. They talk, they sing, they play games, they do familial things. She has this concept of "home" then that centers around her relationships with her family and community. I am quite different. Due to my strange upbringing, I learned (necessity being the mother of invention) how to derive my sense of identity from media. From particular books, from taking in data. My "home" is portable. I must be able to meet my spiritual and dietary needs, I must be able to have my books and other data around me, and I'm happy. Just interesting to see how different we are in this respect.

Observation: On the ride home from Thanksgiving the moon hung like a silver note in the black staff of the telephone wires.

I have a feeling that my descriptive sentence above is not particularly original; but then again, what is?

No comments: