Thursday, November 29, 2007

Work Redux

Just an added note on my work post above, provided at Steve's request.

So, how did I handle the programmer coming on to me? What were the exact circumstances and strategies behind my, if you will, piece de resistance of fidelity?

Well, it goes like this. I was at a restaurant in Houston called Yao's, which is owned by the Rockets' all-star center and features appropriately tall doorways, large sinks and chairs, etc. The whole place is styled to be comfortable to a 7' 6" basketball player. This is the gimmick, but the food ain't bad, either.

So at a certain juncture in our large, after-work dinner, it was decided that we would adjourn to the bar area to watch some of the Rockets game. While there, my programmer began making her move. I was a bit flustered, a bit off my pins, I can tell you. Thrown for a loop. Not certain what to do.

So this is what I did: excused myself to make a phone call, got into my car, drove the the Kroger a few blocks away, purchased a package of Archway Sugar-Free Oatmeal cookies, and ate the entire package while sitting in the parking lot. Then, refreshed, my sanity restored, my gut distended, with the power of Archway behind me, I went back inside Yao's. For the remainder of the evening I handled myself with grace and aplomb, skillfully parrying the exploratory thrusts of my would-be seductress.

No comments: