Tuesday, October 9, 2007

None of the Above

I had this friend named Matt, he was really into this French-Canadian metal band called VoiVod. Their later albums were these orchestral Sci-Fi/Fantasy epics that told stories about androids trapped in bio-domes, victims of genetic tampering, and so on.

I didn't really want to like the band, but my friend insisted. He broke it down. He made me see their genius. He didn't stop until I admitted that they were good. This morning at the gym one of the VoiVod's songs came on my iPod and it got me to thinking about Matt. He's dead now. Died in a culvert outside Orlando. It got me to thinking that it's really a shame not to believe in Heaven.

Why shouldn't I believe in a place where everyone is happy and where I'll be reunited with all of my old friends and family? Is intellectual pride worth missing out on a place like that? I don't know. I just think it would be nice go to to heaven someday and hang out with Matt again and tell him that 15 years later I still like VoiVod.

So, congratulations on the 2,000-plus words! You are my hero, Steve. And my friend. I like friends who push me and get in my stuff. I don't like polite friends or friends who are afraid to be annoying. I don't like diffidence in a friend. And you are one talented bastard. I can't wait to read your stuff and giggle with glee.

1 comment:

Scott Lapard said...

It's funny you should bring Matt up.
The other day while driving home from work I got thinking about T-bone...

...Whatever became of that kid?