Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Value of Writing Methods

Ultimately the only thing we absolutely have to worry about is whether or not WE find our writing interesting. Just us, the first and only guaranteed audience. And then of course we hope to find someone else who finds us interesting. And even better if that someone else happens to be a publisher or agent. Better still if it expands from there to include paying readership, etc. But the litmus test is whether we like it.

All that is to say, these methods I'm investigating (WantObstacleActionResolutionEmotionShowing, Snowflake, Three Sentences, Hero's Journey) are best practices...they are retroactively uncovered elements that seem to be present in the majority of salable fiction. As such, I think it's time well spent to understand (as well as one can) the principles behind these methods and if you're of a certain methodical turn of mind (god help me) you might even use these tools to build a few stories of your own and see how they function. All of this is fine, in my opinion, and part of the learning process. I really do believe that one must have some knowledge of the "rules" and how they function in order to break them effectively.

Having said that, if it's no fun, it's no good. Period. And I will admit that, on occasion, my fascination with Method (which springs from the same impulse to make a SYSTEM out of loading the dishwasher or tying my shoes) had overtaken my appreciation for the simple joy of putting words on the page.

And that's it. That's the gift. Laying down words with my hands and picking them back up with my eyes. Like a game of cards...

No comments: